Bernard Fort



Where are you now?

I am in Saint-Julien en Quint, south of Vercors, at the base of the large cliffs of Font d´Urle. I’ve been settled there for a year. I realize the privilege I have to be there during this difficult period, and I try to take advantage of it...


Where would you like to be?

Here and now. But as always, I also dream of being somewhere else: in Italy in Florence, on the Elba island, in the Mongolian steppe, in the north of Sweden... but I just have to think about it to be there. So I'm not frustrated with containment. I think of Giono who, as a child, had developed this concept of motionless travel in his father's backshop in Manosque.


What are you doing at the moment?



- I'm building a small studio at the end of my garden (a 20m2 soundproof and isolated room), but I am far from finished! 
- I'm completely rebuilding my outdated website, and that's a big, tedious job too, but it has the advantage of forcing me to sort things out and redefine things. 
- But I also live with my wife! I try to keep in touch with my children, my family. 
- And I watch the day break.


What are you hearing right now?



Mainly the Warblers all day long, but also Jays, Thrushes and the first stridulations of insects. And indoor, I listen to bells that I've recorded everywhere, for years. I'm revisiting my naturalistic sound recordings (I've just finished classifying all the sound recordings made in the Danube Delta, for a project). I listen to the latest works from Sofia Jannock (to whom I dedicated Brain Fever).



Are you using this containment period to make music?

In a way, yes, and to be more precise, I prepare and make selections for future works, for which I'll need to lock myself down in a studio.


What will the world be like next?


Who can tell? What do we want to learn from the previous one? 
Let's keep focused, let's not go too fast, let's try to learn from this... for the future world.


How can we support the music community?


By working on our instruments, and by inviting it to work on its instruments. For me, this means mostly working on our listening, in every way.


Five music to recommend?


In no particular order:
L’Expérience Acoustique (François Bayle)
4’33”
(John Cage)
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles)
Third Symphony (Gustav Mahler)
Gayageum Music (Byungki Hwang)

But tomorrow, my list might be very different.


One book?


Mes plus beaux poèmes d’amour (Armand Le Poête)
It keeps you in a good mood !


What will you do when you get out?

I'll try to get back to some public activities (concerts, conferences, and others), and to meet the people with whom I didn't have enough contact lately.


Links:

Popular Posts