Thomas Bonvalet


Where are you now?

I’m in Alpedrete, at the bottom of Madrid’s sierra.

Where would you like to be?

On the move.


What have you been doing?

I just finished washing up my dishes, and I’m going to do some sports with my little girl... skipping rope, ball games, things like that.


What can you hear right now?

The kitchen clock, birds, some cars, tiny crackles from my old computer, my tinnitus.


Are you taking advantage of this containment period to make music?

Not really, but once my little girl is in bed, I manage to play one hour or two.


How will the world be after all this?

I’m very pessimistic, I already was before this crisis. What is to come (especially in the long term) is much worse than what we are living right now. I’m doing my best to find joy nonetheless.


How can we support the music community?

I don’t think our situation will get back to normal. We’ll have to readjust, reinvent our practices in a certain way… In terms of support, I don’t really know what is possible, the problem is mainly an economic issue. It’s unlikely that it will still be possible to make a living out of music for some of us.


Five musical recommendations?
Josef Matthias Hauer - Atonale Musik op.20
Whispering Jack Smith - Me and My Shadow
Godflesh - Slavestate
Der Todesking - OST
Harold Budd & Brian Eno - The Pearl


One book?

Michel Bernanos, The Dead Mountain of Life


What will you do when you're out?

I want to go back to France, to restore my cabin in the Double forest and work the land, to shear my sheep (if they are still there!), meet some friends, to record, ride my skateboard (containment is stricter here in Spain).

Popular Posts